Sunday 23 October 2016

Brookfield Place

I checked the weather forecast before deciding where to go for my discovery walk. It was partly sunny this morning then became cloudy in the afternoon, with high around 13C (55F).

From Union subway station, I walked to Brookfield Place to see the World Press Photo 16, a traveling exhibition of prize-winning entries by World Press Photo. The exhibition is on until October 25 with free admission. The winning images were selected from 82,951 photos made by 5,775 photographers from 128 different countries. I felt fortunate to be able to view them in my city.

The Allen Lambert Galleria where the exhibition is held is one of my favourite public places in Toronto. It is airy with just the right amount of light, a pleasure to walk through from Bay Street entrance to Yonge Street.


If you are a hockey fan, a visit to the Hockey Hall of Fame is a must. This bronze art work at the corner of Yonge and Front Streets captures a group of hockey players. I like their eager and happy expressions.


Continuing east on Front Street towards Church Street, I found a well-known landmark at Church and Wellington Streets: The Gooderham Building or Flatiron building. I find the shape, colour, and location of this building interesting.


On my loop back to Union Station, along Wellington Street, I saw another bronze sculpture titled U.V. Ceti by Andrew Posa, “Dedicated to Edward Isaac Richmond, architect, 1908-1982. A kind man who shared his love of beauty.”


It turned out to be a fine Sunday. I’ve done my exercises today, seen some amazing art work, and now I’m back at home to write this blog post. I hope you enjoy the pictures. I look forward to another walk next week when I plan to see a number of bronze sculptures. How is your weekend?

No comments:

Post a Comment